From PREX Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Main Page >> Analyzer_Meeting

previous meeting << >> following meeting

Logistic information

Meeting room at JLab: CC L201A.

 BlueJeans calling instructions:
 Toll-Free Number (U.S.&  Canada):  888-240-2560
 International toll number:         408-740-7256
 Bluejeans CODE:                  419 045 306
 Bluejeans link: https://bluejeans.com/419045306


Analyzer code updates

  1. Recent branch activity & pull requests
    • Have merged several of the pull requests in
    • One which is pending is to remoive the outdated "qwparity_simple" executable
  2. burpcuts
    • this is not quite the same as the stability cuts. I have a framework idea in progress, may be ready to hand off to someone later today or tomorrow
  3. miniruns & regression analysis
    • Several issues have been opened relating to getting the minirun functionality. It will be based on the burst analysis.
    • RR is working on getting the corrected detector values, and will put into github soon
    • Sent an example of the current correlator output to Sakib to include in aggregator.
  4. feedback
    • Want to add HC calcuation of means and widths to the feedback engine to send to EPICS for OPS to look for correlations with machine configuration
    • Total "lag" from feedback has been looked at briefly and seems to be a few seconds
  5. Beam modulation
    • Updates to the bmwClient
      • Plan to test changes tomorrow (May 30) sometime
    • Decoding and BMOD tree extraction
      • RR was working on the BMOD tree extraction, but was pulled off to work on the miniruns and greenmonster. He'll push a work-in-progress branch with what he had so we can hand off to someone else

Hardware/DAQ tasklist

  1. EPICS run-start and fast logger (and EPICS decoder to slow tree)
    • Sangwa had a test of this on Friday and had a few to-dos left. We should check on when it will be ready for a follow up
  2. Timing: mostly understood, still small mysteries (LNE)
    • We have a meeting at 2pm today to discuss the module configuration techniques
  3. Synchronization-check system. w/help from Ed Jastrzembski
    • There's a new module to add a event tagging pattern in the lowest 8bits of the event ID. It uses the exisiting ROC branch cable
    • These modules are not ready yet, but should be low-risk to add, even close to the run
  4. Clean up cabling, labels, fasteners - First need to examine all signals
    • Camerone will add labels as he finishes the cabling maps this weekend
  5. Clean up CRL -- eliminate so-called "dirty trick"
    • CC: that is Bob’s court. PK: we should look at the CH and injector CRLs once we finish up with the timing and beamMod client.
    • This clean-up only effected the ADC18s in the CH crate, so we won't bother doing it since we don't have ADC18s in the CGH crate anymore
  6. Pedestal studies, aka cross-talk
    • There were a few hour long runs over the weekend.
  7. Green Monster rework: Robert
    • Robert has almost all the old functionality duplicated in the new GM client.
    • Green monster needs to be able to function if one or more of the crates is not available.
    • Need to check that we can communicate to all of the crates. We should plan a test of all the system in the near future; maybe later today? CC plans to be in CH after 15:15, he and RR will collaborate on tests beginning today.
  8. automatic production of run-dependent database
  9. alarms like end-of-run voice
    • CC has stubbed out a set of methods to generate alarms based on analyzed values. This is based on the aggregator and then has an interface screen "Red Monster"
    • Other alarms to be added: something polling EPICS values for being within valid ranges, interfaces to the HV control systems, etc
    • later
  10. e-logbook entries
    • later
  11. Document everything. Circuit diagrams, cable map, "how to".
    • CC: will make circuit diagrams.
  12. ADAQ and HDD system monitoring
  13. Remote power supply cycling capability:
    • CC: asked Alex about this and he said there are some. Will investigate further. (Last checked in with Alex on Friday, and needs to follow up. But Bob suggests asking Jack.)

ReSpin of APEX runs


  1. Aggregator Sakib:
    • Sakib will need to update the wrapper scripts and add functionality to get the correlator results
  2. Pass 2: Paul
    • The 30ua runs were almost all just a single minirun, so we could run those without waiting for the minirun functionality in JAPAN
    • Paul will check operations to see if any of the changes there impact the APEX runs, then create a special "respin2" install of JAPAN
    • Tao will run the respin2 of the 30 uA runs.

Special meeting about Green Monster

  • We will use GreenMonster as the primary mode of setting electronics settings.
    • Green monster should also be able to write to files to store default settings which are used at boot. {Cameron}
    • We should remove the module setting routines from the CRL (actually just disable them). {Cameron}
    • Do we want to use the TB to set the scaler gates? BM and KP say yes.
      • Let's use the TB signal as the scaler gate, with a possible fiddling around to better align the TB gate with the VQWK integration. This might be through using an extra external gate, removing the VQWK internal delay, or other solutions. PK and CC to follow up on this on Monday.
      • Timing validation btween scaler gate and VQWK would have to be done by putting the scaler gate into a VQWK channel and scanning the VQWK timing settings.
    • Bob would like to see some kind of study where we check for transients and make sure we have a long enough T_settle.
      • Maybe we need to take a special run with beam where we start with zero TB delay and a very short VQWK integral and step the delay up to some nominal value. We (CC & PK) should prepare a test plan to be able to run at some convenient PQB opportunity.
    • We should add some alarms/alerts that the settings are "unusual" when starting a run


Paul K., Michael V., Cameron, Tao, Bob M., Devi, Robert R. Sakib