PREX Wiki This page is under construction (Oct 28 2009).
The Lead Radius Experiment ("PREX"), experiment number E06002, uses the parity violating weak neutral interaction to probe the neutron distribution in a heavy nucleus, namely 208Pb, thus measuring the RMS neutron radius to 1% accuracy, which has an important impact on nuclear theory. The experiment is being performed by the HAPPEX collaboration which has recently completed experiments E99115 & E00114 -- i.e. HAPPEX II and HAPPEX Helium.
Spokespersons: Krishna Kumar (U. Mass), Paul Souder (Syracuse), Robert Michaels (JLab), Guido Urciuoli (INFN).
Proposal and Updates
- 2005 Proposal Update (Postscript), and Same, PDF.
- 2002 Proposal Update
- Original Proposal (Dec 1999).
Related Physics Info
- Paper on Parity Violating Neutron Densities published in Phys. Rev. C63, 025501 (2001). Cited 100 times according to SPIRES (Oct 2008).
- 1-Page Experiment Summary for the Public Postscript or PDF
- EINN 2005 Poster about PREX (powerpoint).
- References from C. Horowitz (needs to be updated).
- The 2008 PREX workshop
- The Trento 2000 Workshop on Parity Violation.
Status and Plans
- A work list (updated May, 2009) which supercedes Paul Souder's old work list necessary to perform the experiment. Schedule is March 2010 !
- An index of Meeting Minutes and Talks
- Working on a new Monte Carlo.
- Here are recent (Dec 5, 2007) diagrams of the 18-bit ADC and the somewhat older schematic from Fernando Barbosa.
- Here is Paul's note on slits for transverse asymmetry systematic (March, 2009).
- Target Info
- Oct 2009 Proposed target ladder:
- Target info for the Jan 2008 test run.
- Here are Design Drawings from J. Miller. And here are assembly pics (was for the Jan 2008 test run)
- Early tests Pb target. See diagram of target and writeup about test (postscript) and same, PDF
- Polarimetry is crucial.
- In Nov 2005 we had a 2 day run to test all aspects of the experiment at ~850 MeV. Results were explained in the 2005 propsal update (see talks, below).
Talks (including seminars and PAC Defenses)
- Here was the recent PREX workshop 2008 held at JLAB.
- Here are some talks about PREX at workshops, etc.
- An index of Collaboration Meetings and Weekly Meetings plus some older stuff.
- Here are some old transparencies.
Contributing to the PREX wiki
- To get a new account: click login.
- Where the page invites you to obtain an account click "request one" and follow the instructions.
- I'll get an e-mail, will approve you and you'll get a password by e-mail.
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.
MediaWiki has been successfully installed.