PREX/CREX Mar 14, 2018 10:00am
From PREX Wiki
Revision as of 15:44, 7 June 2018 by Cameronc
BlueJeans calling instructions: Toll-Free Number (U.S.& Canada): 888-240-2560 International toll number: 408-740-7256 Bluejeans CODE: 627 455 790 Bluejeans link: https://bluejeans.com/627455790 Offline room: CEBAF Center L210A
- FOM Seamus
- SR: we wanted to look at what happens if we maximize the area of a collimator cutout. Things look linear that you more of less want to expand that as much as you can. It also looks like a second order expansion is good enough.
- SR: Tyler will work with the new simulation (G4) doing some ray tracing.
- KP: are you keeping the same average Q2? SR: yes.
- Thermal neutrons: Adam
- AZ: it is an addition to the analysis from last week. I updated the material for the shielding and found that it is much higher density than regular HDPE. This new shielding does about the same as 5% borated poly.
- AZ: still working on figuring out if the fast (1 to 10 MeV) are affected. KP: this is because we have less H in the hdpe with this material (20% partial density)
- PS: how does this compare with P1? KP: the thermal load was lower in P1 but the total neutron load was higher. We were producing more neutrons that are not moderated. Will post results soon.
- HDPE: Kent
- KP: Only one company quotes a radiation dose (5e6 Gy). Not clear what this means. The company does not have any more information on this. The safe thing is to put all the plastic in Al boxes. The alternative is to test it ourselves (but that will need some work to define the tests).
- DM: do we have a costing for this? KP: not yet. SR: we may find some cheap commercial solutions for this if we don’t want particular sizes.
- DM: for tests here it would cost about 7.5k$ and 3-4 days of radiation. The issue is to asses the level of radiation and the effect. The spot size can be varied significantly (from a golf ball to 10in in diameter)
Tao Y, Jay B, Eric K, Caryn P, Kent P, Ciprian G, Adam Z, Seamus R, Tyler K, Chandan G, Ryan R, Devi A, Dustin M, Victoria O, Paul S
KK, Sanghwa P